Nondestructive Testing for the Military and Defense Industry
Defending the national interest requires the use of sophisticated artillery, technologies and equipment. These defense systems are subject to a high degree of stress whether they are missile systems, or the jets and naval vessels that launch those systems. A flaw or weak spot caused by corrosion or wear can cause a critical component to fail and damage a serious investment. Nondestructive testing (NDT) for the military and defense industry is an indispensable part of fielding and maintaining these systems.
Nondestructive testing for the military is widespread and essential. It ranges from relatively straightforward NDT such as ultrasonic testing of welds aboard naval vessels to the testing of complex aerospace components that combine metals and composite materials. In either case, the safety of the sailors, soldiers, marines, and airmen who operate these systems depends on regularly performed military NDT.
Zetec has been a leading designer and manufacturer of ultrasonic and eddy current NDT equipment for more than 50 years. In that time Zetec has provided industry-leading NDT support solutions aiding maintenance and manufacturing for the military and the defense industry that develops military systems.
Military and Defense NDT Resources and Application Notes
In order to better illustrate the role of NDT in the military, we’ve prepared an overview of NDT publications that apply to military systems. Military systems run the gamut from small but critical elements such as aerospace control rod ends to large and equally critical systems like nuclear power plants aboard ships. Learn more about these NDT applications by reviewing the publications below which have been categorized by industry—aerospace, naval, and ground vehicles and ordinance applications:
- Composite Material Inspection (white paper)
- Composite Materials Inspection (application note)
- Improving Inspections of Composite Structures (webinar)
- A Better Way to Inspect for Surface and Subsurface Cracking (webinar)
- Friction Stir Weld Inspection (application note)
- Improve Speed and Detection Probability in Aerospace Friction Stir Weld Inspection (article)
- F-15 Longeron Inspection (application note)
- Countersink Fastener Inspection (application note)
- Flaw Detection Capabilities in Aerospace (white paper)
- Improving Aerospace Flaw Detection Using Advanced Technologies (webinar)
- Corrosion Mapping
- Condensate Heat Exchanger Inspection (application note)
- Improve Heat Exchanger Inspection Analysis (webinar)
- Improving Non-Ferrous Tubing Inspection (webinar)
- Improve the Efficiency and Accuracy of Inspection Scanning (webinar)
Product Recommendations for Military NDT and Defense Industry Applications
To help you find the right NDT equipment for military and defense systems use we have compiled a list of common military NDT needs and made recommendations of the Zetec equipment and instrumentation that best fulfills each need. If you need a solution for a testing application that is not listed below, contact our team of experts to learn more about the solutions Zetec offers.
The reliability of military equipment depends on high-level quality control during manufacturing using NDT. Likewise, the dependability of these systems during both combat exercises and actual combat depends on the rigorous performance of ultrasonic and eddy current testing NDT equipment to ensure components remain within specification, and any replacements are free of flaws.